Saturday, May 31, 2008

Venus Williams to make Canadian debut

Venus Williams to make Canadian debut
THE CANADIAN PRESS MONTREAL -- Venus Williams will make her first Rogers Cup appearance this summer in Montreal. The 27-year-old American, who has won 36 career WTA Tour singles titles, is ranked eighth in the world. Williams confirmed her participation during a conference call Wednesday from Paris, where she's getting ready for the French Open. She said she has entered the Rogers Cup a couple of times in the past but was unable to play due to injury. "This year it's a great opportunity for me to play a top-level tournament in a city that I've never visited," Williams said. "And (I get) to meet all my fans that I've never met before so I'm really looking forward to it." The US$1.34-million tournament will be played July 26-Aug. 3 at Uniprix Stadium. Belgium's Justine Henin won the 2007 event in Toronto. She announced her retirement last week.



  • Williams test ’shark-fin’ engine cover
  • Eskimos Trade for O’Mahony
  • Venus Williams takes indefinite leave
  • Williams sisters ousted at French Open
  • No comments: