Thursday, May 21, 2009

Serena: 'I'm the best in the world'

Current No. 2 Serena Williams and No.1 Dinara Safina.
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

ROME -- Serena Williams may be ranked second in the world but she believes there is no one better.

The 27-year-old American was overtaken in the rankings two weeks ago by Dinara Safina, making the Russian and older sibling Marat Safin the only brother-sister duo to have been No. 1 in professional tennis.

"We all know who the real No. 1 is. Quite frankly, I'm the best in the world," Williams said Monday, adding that she is her toughest opponent and "I always beat myself."

Safina has never won a Grand Slam title, losing last year's French Open final and being beaten in the Australian Open final this year by Williams.

"I'm excited for her," Williams said with a smile.

Williams was speaking at the Italian Open, which she won in 2002 and where she will play her first clay-court event of the season. She opens against 2005 runner-up Patty Schnyder of Switzerland on Tuesday.

."I'm happy to be here," Williams said of the warmup for the French Open. "I think it will be a good event for me."

Safina, the 2006 runner-up, two-time defending champion Jelena Jankovic of Serbia and Ana Ivanovic of Serbia are among the top eight seeded players who have first-round byes.



No comments: